First Five Fragments for Friday
1. When babies teethe, I imagine their words, if they had them, would be something like,
“Teeth are way over-rated and if you really loved me, you’d put whiskey on my gums.”
2. There is no excuse for belly button lint that could make it sexy.
3. We heard a lot about the execution of Troy Davis in Georgia but not so much about the execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer in Texas which demonstrates how acceptance/protest of the death penalty really does depend on whether the one executed is seen an an unfortunate human caught up in bad circumstances or a monster. Either way, two more people are dead.
4. How do you follow up thoughts about the death penalty with something else that matters?
5. Football. It’s the autumn salve of tired Americans who need to stop thinking for a while.
DO A KIND THING
Winter is looming in my neighborhood. Yes, even in September. This is the time of year when I think about how much I love cooking and feeding everyone I know. I’m really lucky to be able to do so. I can enjoy cooking and having people to dinner because our family has enough to share.
Everyone should be so lucky. But they aren’t. And they don’t all fit around our dinner tables. That’s why there are food shelves. Check out Feeding America here and share what you can.